Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Easily Difficult Postcard

Creating the postcard was a bit of a challenge. Working more and more with Indesign the more familiar it becomes. Along the way learning new tricks and how things are supposed to be done. The postcard project was not difficult, but at the same time it was. Postcards are generally very basic. Writing a little something to someone, with a nice designed background to look at. The background more than likely fits the mood of the writing or the time of year (seasons). However this project was writing about yourself as a person, when postcards are usually meant for someone else, not describing yourself. In the end this is a good way of communicating about yourself in a different way, say other than a resume. My postcard is clearly blue, with a slight design background. Somewhat looks like a monitor background. I wanted it to be easy to look at, simple with no confusion. That's how I feel I am as a person. I like to be straight forward with people and individually. Blue is also one of my top three favorite colors. The fonts were easy to figure out. It's a postcard, not a written document that needs some fancy font to make it stand out. No one wants to take 15 minutes reading a short message trying to figure out what it says. The most complex font on the postcard would be my name. It's stylish which is how I think I can be as a person. Little did I know later on in the project the font I chose would work to my advantage. The shape we created in Illustrator was mainly made for the sake of a text wrap. Near the end of completion I felt like my shape was just an inanimate object. I took the cropped photo of myself created in Photoshop and placed it inside the shape, which was an oval. When I did that I thought of those classic picture frames that are the same shape, yet real fancy, and if they're hanging on a wall have the persons name written underneath them with real nice font. I deleted my shape and went to search for one of those frames on the internet. I thought my postcard was lacking a bit in the excitement part, so the frame would give it more depth. Once the frame was placed with my photo inside i took my name with the fancy font and placed it underneath the frame. It may sound boring but I thought it was a good idea. Indesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator were all used to create this postcard. Indesign was the main cog where everything was finalized and created. Photoshop allowed me to take a photo that included myself and crop myself from the background. Also later on I learned how to incorporate a new background so my cropped self didn't look so odd. Illustrator was used to create our shape. There were definitely some instructions I needed help with to make the final product. Learning how to crop myself out of a photo, adding that to a new background, learning more about the text wrap, and defining the edges of a cropped photo with certain tools in Photoshop.Whenever I write about myself I get tired of writing the same things over and over. I don't think I change much as a person. Im generally pretty laid back which is what I write. I wanted to think of something else to say for once. In the end my description of myself was unusual, and almost story like, but short. I wanted to be more in depth about how I described myself. In reading it, maybe it's too straight forward, but that's how I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment